The Power of Independent Thinking


Stay Connected
Get the latest updates straight to your inbox.

Internships » FAQ
Learning to Lead Internships
Independent Institute

Frequently Asked Questions

Have you received my application for an internship?

If you completed the website application process and received a confirmation email, then yes, we received your application and it will be reviewed accordingly.

Can I call with questions?

We encourage you to instead email our Programs Coordinator at [email protected] with any questions that you may have in regards to our Learning to Lead Internships.

If I'm not available for the entire time is that okay?

While we prefer that candidates are with us for the entire designated term, we do allow flexibility with schedules if approved by department supervisors.

Can I extend my internship to longer than the advertised term?

Possibly. This is up to your department supervisor who can elongate the internship based on performance and need for continued assistance.

Will I be notified if I am not selected?

Yes, you will receive an email from our Programs Coordinator if you are not selected for an internship with the Independent Institute.

Does the Independent Institute offer to house their interns or provide a stipend?

Currently, at this time we cannot ensure financial assistance for housing. We highly encourage our candidates to apply for the Koch Internship Program with Charles Koch Institute which allows accepted interns to receive a stipend for their internship term. More information on the Koch Internship Program can be found here!

Do you offer remote internships?

Unfortunately, not at this time. All interns are expected to work in our Oakland, CA office during the agreed upon term with their department supervisor(s).

I’ve been accepted, what next?

Congrats! After you have been notified and have accepted the offer, you will be emailed further details about the internship. We will also connect you with other accepted interns so you can get further acquainted with one another.

What if I need a Visa?

Foreign applicants who are offered an internship with the Independent Institute will be required to obtain a J-1 visa, which allows foreign college and university students and recent graduates to come to the United States for cultural and educational exchange. The process can be lengthy, and applicants are expected to pay and apply for the process themselves. The Independent Institute does not sponsor visas for candidates and may choose to accept candidates who need a visa on a case-by-case basis.


  • Catalyst
  • Beyond Homeless