Director of Development
The Independent Institute is currently seeking an experienced Development professional with a strong commitment to individual liberty to lead our Development team in furthering the Institute’s mission and impact.
The Development Director has responsibility for establishing and executing on the annual and rolling five-year Strategic Plan for the department. Central to this is maintaining and developing relationships with donors, including major gifts, annual campaigns, special events, direct mail and electronic efforts. As such, the qualified candidate will be a self-motivated, committed professional with successful fund-raising experience to assist us in our continued growth.
Excellent verbal, written, organizational, and interpersonal skills are required, as well as a demonstrated track record in planning, organizing, coordinating, and implementing successful development programs, including direct mail, special events, annual solicitation, major gifts/planned giving and donor management.
For twenty-six years, the Independent Institute has advanced an understanding of market processes, individual liberty, and policy reform through its scholarly research and publications. As a 501(c)3 educational nonprofit organization, the Institute relies entirely on funding from private sources and does not conduct research on a contract basis.
Only those candidates meeting the following minimum requirements will be considered:
- Four years of development or fundraising experience at a nonprofit organization
- Personal experience developing relationships with individual donors
- Demonstrated track record in planning, organizing, coordinating, and implementing successful development programs, including direct mail, special events, annual solicitation, major gifts/planned giving and donor management
- Experience writing appeals for financial gifts, such as direct mail letters, foundation grant requests and personal letters to donors
- Excellent verbal, written, organizational, and interpersonal skills
- Personal commitment to free-market principles and individual liberty
Competitive salary and benefits are provided.
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials:
- Cover letter detailing: a) your sincere interest in this position and the mission of the organization, and b) your current and desired salaries
- List of 3+ references
Materials should be sent to:
Mary L. G. Theroux
Senior Vice President
100 Swan Way
Oakland, CA 94621
510-632-1366, ext. 108
Student Internships in Acquisitions, Communications, Development, Marketing, and Publishing are available year-round. Applications are now being accepted for upcoming quarters.