About the Independent Institute
The Independent Institute is a non-profit, non-partisan, public-policy research and educational organization that shapes ideas into lasting impact through publications, conferences, and effective multi-media programs. Our mission is boldly to advance peaceful, prosperous, and free societies grounded in a commitment to human worth and dignity. Applying independent thinking to issues that matter, we create transformational ideas for today’s most pressing social and economic challenges.
The Independent Institute is seeking a talented individual to serve as Controller, to play a central role in the organization’s financial reporting, recordkeeping, and HR administration, efficiently applying consistent standards of widely accepted accounting practices in maintaining the organization’s financial integrity. In addition, the Controller advises senior management in matters pertaining to staff and the organization’s operations in general.
- Develops, summarizes, interprets and reports financial information for department headsespecially Development and Salesmanagement, and the Board.
- Maintains accounting entries and financial systems according to generally accepted accounting principles.
- Masterminds the creation and implementation of an annual operating budget, in collaboration with management and department heads.
- Manages the annual audit process; works with external tax professionals and government agencies.
- Works with senior managers to oversee and coordinate Independent’s insurance requirements.
- Establishes proper methodology for calculating author royalties and processes royalty calculations and payments.
- Processes timely payments for all invoices in bill.com online payment platform.
- Coordinates with outside provider to assure state filings related to nonprofit fundraising
- Provides Human Resources services, including interfacing with gusto.com platform.
- May oversee warehouse and administrative personnel, ensuring smooth daily operations.
More generally, as part of Independent’s commitment to excellence, continuous improvement and teamwork, the Controller supports the development and implementation of Independent’s Strategic Plans and their updates. The Controller tracks and reports on all planning objectives and action items. The Controller develops and reports against department and organization budgets, alerting department heads and senior staff to variances and areas of concern, and making recommendations as appropriate. The Controller reports to the President, who establishes Performance Objectives and evaluates performance.
- Readiness to support the mission and operations of the Independent Institute
- 3-5+ years of experience in accounting and financial management
- Ability to master and manage the distinctive elements of nonprofit accounting including restricted donations
- Experience in creating broad plans that also contain detailed implementation objectives and measurable outcomes, and carrying them out successfully
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively
- Non-profit experience a plus
- Appropriate educational credentials are a plus (e.g., B.S. with or without C.P.A.)
Send a letter detailing your interest and fit with the role of Controller at the Independent Institute, accompanied by a resume. A short list of references is desirable. Submit items to [email protected].