Vice President of Development
The Independent Institute is seeking an experienced, successful Development professional with an understanding of and commitment to the principles of individual liberty and free societies to lead our fundraising program.
For 29 years, Independent Institute has successfully pursued our mission in boldly advancing peaceful, prosperous, and free societies grounded in a commitment to human worth and dignity. We are a highly entrepreneurial culture and environment, producing results and impact far outsize our budget, and have one of the strongest social media presences of any policy group. We see nothing but opportunity ahead in furthering our programs and extending the reach and impact of liberty across all age groups and around the world. Towards that end we are currently engaged in a branding and website upgrade initiative, and we are poised and excited to supercharge our efforts.
- A loyal, stable donor base, which supports our publications and events, student programs, educational websites including elindependent.org and mygovcost.org, and traditional and social media outreach.
- A team of highly dedicated, mission-focused professionals.
- A strong, committed support staff.
- Supportive, engaged boards of directors and advisors.
- A quiet working environment in well-appointed offices.
- Rigorous strategic planning and management practices.
An entrepreneurial, successful Development professional energized by the opportunity of working with our team in attracting the resources needed to achieve our ambitious shared goals, who will:
- Direct a high-performing development department, including creating and executing on ambitious annual plans;
- Build our donor base, and personally lead Major and Foundation efforts
- Expand our events programs;
- Assist in the integration of our current rebranding initiative; and
- Identify and execute on new opportunities.
We seek a professional with:
- An understanding of and commitment to the principles of individual liberty and free societies. Our donors are well-informed and committed to liberty, and you must be able to converse with them in a like manner.
- 5-7 years of demonstrated fundraising experience and increased responsibility, preferably in the free-market policy realm.
- Experience in creating and successfully executing on plans, including collaborating with and directing others in their achievement.
- Success in developing major donor relationships, including foundations.
- Superior oral and written communication skills.
- Ability and willingness to travel to meet with donors.
- Planned giving experience a plus.
The fine print:
This full-time position is in our Oakland, California headquarters, and offers a competitive salary and benefits, with performance bonuses.
How to Apply:
Qualified candidates should submit the following:
- Cover letter, detailing your understanding and commitment to our mission and your salary requirements
- A list of three references
Mary L. G. Theroux
Senior Vice President
100 Swan Way
Oakland, CA 94621
510-632-1366, ext. 108
Student Internships in Acquisitions, Donor Relations, Marketing, Communications, Publications, and Research are available year-round. Applications are now being accepted for upcoming quarters.