Major Gifts Officer
The Independent Institute is seeking a Major Gifts Officer to build and steward donor-centered relationships with major individual prospects and donors to ensure the Independent Institute has the financial resources to carry out its important mission. This full-time position reports to the Development Director and works with senior management and other staff to ensure that fundraising supports overall Independent goals. Our office is in Oakland, California; however, we are willing to consider candidates, who are based in another location.
- Apply cultivation best practices and a strategic approach to development to close significant gifts each year.
- Manage a portfolio of qualified prospects and donors.
- Maintain and grow long-term relationships with major donors and recognize their support.
- Identify and research key opportunities;
- Build a cultivation tool chest for engaging donors;
- Use a moves management system to shepherd individuals through the cultivation cycle in a time manner;
- Build and deepen Independent’s relationships with its donors and learn about future giving opportunities, such as planned giving.
- Inform and assist donors, who wish to participate in planned giving program.
- Participate in quarterly development reviews to discuss strategy, plan next moves, and discuss any obstacles/opportunities for moving a prospect/donor through the cultivation cycle.
- A Bachelor’s degree in public policy, marketing, communications, or a related field is required.
- Five to seven years of progressively responsible experience in development is preferred.
- Experience in all aspects of development, especially donor stewardship, is desired.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills are required.
- Support for Independent Institute’s mission and understanding of its unique role in advancing freedom and liberty is essential.
- Frequent travel is required.
Founded in 1986, Independent is a non-profit, non-partisan, scholarly research and educational organization that sponsors in-depth studies of critical social and economic issues. We publish books and a quarterly journal, produce forums about issues in the news, and increasingly offer our materials in digital and visual media. Our mission is to boldly advance peaceful, prosperous, and free societies grounded in a commitment to human worth and dignity.
Qualified candidates should visit our website at www.independent.org and submit a cover letter and resume and to:
100 Swan Way, Suite 200
Oakland, CA 94621-1428