The Independent Institute is seeking a Development Manager to manage our development office operations, including our foundation development and grant writing, and enhance our efforts in the cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of our donors. This full-time position reports to the Development Director and works with our Development Coordinator to ensure all development operations meet overall Independent goals.
- Grow, manage and strengthen our foundation fundraising including:
- Plan, organize, and prioritize to meet deadlines;
- Identify and research key opportunities;
- Contribute to and coordinate the drafting of proposals and reports;
- Provide timely written, telephone, and personal contact with prospects and grantors;
- Work with outside resources as needed to support these activities.
- Build our planned giving program and work with interested donors as needed.
- Create a library of stories and messaging that illustrate the need for and impact of our work, to be used in donor communications such as the newsletter, website, emails, and annual report.
- Work as a team member collaboratively with Development Director, Development staff, senior management and other departments to advance Independents mission through special event programs, annual campaign, capacity building campaign, and other fundraising initiatives.
- An understanding of the mission of the Independent Institute, our public policy goals, and the free-market/liberty movement
- One to three years in not-for-profit development work or community organizing
- Basic awareness of fundraising; including prospect cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, combined with exceptional initiative, savvy, and creativity
- Strong organizational and critical-thinking skills
- The ability to manage many tasks simultaneously, and good problem-solving skills
- A positive, solution-oriented attitude
Founded in 1986, Independent is a non-profit, non-partisan, scholarly research and educational organization that sponsors in-depth studies of critical social and economic issues. We publish books and a quarterly journal, produce forums about issues in the news, and increasingly offer our materials in digital and visual media. Our mission is to boldly advance peaceful, prosperous, and free societies grounded in a commitment to human worth and dignity.
Qualified candidates should visit our website at http://www.independent.org and submit a cover letter and resume and to:
100 Swan Way, Suite 200
Oakland, CA 94621-1428