About the Independent Institute
The Independent Institute is a non-profit, non-partisan, public-policy research and educational organization that shapes ideas into lasting impact through publications, conferences, and effective multi-media programs. Our mission is to boldly advance peaceful, prosperous, and free societies grounded in a commitment to human worth and dignity. Applying independent thinking to issues that matter, we create transformational ideas for today’s most pressing social and economic challenges.
The Marketing Associatesupports and partners with the Manager for Marketing, Sales & Events to organize and coordinate Independent’s conferences and author speaking events, and the broad dissemination of Independent’s research and publications. The Marketing Associate employs best-in-class project management to maximize participation and response to Independent’s educational programs, tracking and analyzing the effectiveness of various approaches.
Major responsibilities of the Marketing Associate include the following, all of which are undertaken in collaboration with the Manager for Marketing, Sales & Events:
- Events. Assists in planning, development and implementation of program, speakers, locations, administration, and marketing logistics required for the successful organizing of onsite and off-site events such as educational program events, exhibits at conferences, author speaking outreach, and jointly-sponsored events with outside organizations. Event management duties include assisting with proposals for venues, exploration of costs, assembling and delivering materials for display and sale, close-down and reconciliation of product sales, and preparing reports thereafter. In addition, the Marketing Associate collaborates with staff, research fellows, partner organizations, and others to develop opportunities and programs to enhance Independent’s brand and our research centers and fellows, including delivery of anticipated outcomes regarding events.
- Publications marketing and sales. Strategizes, and implements, marketing programs aimed at boosting the impact and sales of Independent publicationsincluding Independent-published books, our quarterly journal The Independent Review, policy reviews and briefings, and much more. Primary point of contact for sales and subscription entry, customer service care, preparation and delivery of regular reports of marketing and sales efforts, and drives forecasting of product sales and subscriptions. Works closely with publications team in supporting efforts of The Independent Review, including vendor and exchange relationships, advertising opportunities, and development of direct and promotional campaigns.
- Strategic initiatives. Conceives and implements new initiatives to boost Independent’s voice and products. This will likely include facilitating content for the Catalyst website and managing the stream of content posted on outside partner digital platforms.
- Fellow Liaison. Lays the groundwork for an eventual integrated program of opportunities for connecting with Fellows and Authors, to engage and promote Fellows in research, publications, digital communications, events, and media outreach in the overall objective to advance the mission of Independent Institute.
- Planning/teamwork. As part of Independent’s commitment to excellence, continuous improvement and teamwork, contributes to the development and implementation of Independent’s Strategic Plan and the operational plan for marketing, sales and events. This includes the concurrent development of detailed schedules and action plans, and input on the preparation of budgets.
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
The Marketing Associate reports directly to the Manager of Marketing, Sales & Events, who establishes Performance Objectives and evaluates performance.
- A strong commitment to the ideas animating the Independent Institute
- Experience in creating broad plans that also contain detailed implementation objectives and measurable outcomes, and carrying them out successfully
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively
- Flawless writing skills
- Appropriate educational credentials are a plus
Please send a letter detailing your interest in and readiness for the position and explaining your alignment with the mission of the Independent Institute. It should be accompanied by a résumé, writing samples, and a short list of references. Send to:
Manager, Marketing, Sales & Events