Marketing and Sales Director/Manager
About the Independent Institute
The Independent Institute is a non-profit, non-partisan, public-policy research and educational organization that shapes ideas into lasting impact through publications, conferences, and effective multi-media programs. Our mission is to boldly advance peaceful, prosperous, and free societies grounded in a commitment to human worth and dignity. Applying independent thinking to issues that matter, we create transformational ideas for todays most pressing social and economic challenges.
The Marketing and Sales Director is responsible for developing and implementing all marketing and social media plans and campaigns, with two goals in mind: widening and deepening the audience for Independents ideas and products (marketing) and then actually increasing the number of products sold or ideas disseminated to those audiences (sales).
Major operational responsibilities of the Marketing and Sales Director include the following overlapping areas:
- Marketing Management. Develop and implement effective email, direct mail, promotional, and ad campaigns, to promote Independents books, journal, programs, and events. This work includes the creation and management of a calendar of promotional campaigns; preparing suitable content and messaging; administering ad placements, including online ads and paid and exchange ads with other publications and sites; organizing collateral and website promotional initiatives; coordinating with other departments which are also engaged in outreach activities; and overseeing mailing list rentals to others. This work also includes the creation and management of all relevant budgets.
- Millennial Marketing. Work closely with other departments to develop a Millennial Program marketing plan including competitive analysis, products and services (e.g., digital content delivery), promotion, pricing, distribution, partnerships, and budget. Partner with and promote Independents Millennial-oriented Catalyst project.
- Social Media. Oversee all Independents social media platforms. Prepare written social media plans including metrics that describe key strategies, objectives, messaging and action. Curate and develop content (e.g., op-eds, blogs, memes) to cultivate online conversations and engagement with our audience to increase engagement and reach. Give direction to a Social Media Manager. Report weekly on social media activity and metrics using analytic tools.
- Subscriber Management for The Independent Review. Coordinate renewal and new subscriber campaigns to maintain and increase The Independent Review subscriber base and distribution; undertake library promotion activities; monitor campaign and sales results; and suggest improvements for promotion and sales.
Note: Depending on experience, this position may be filled either at the Director or Manager/Senior Manager level. The Marketing and Sales Director (or Manager) reports to the Senior Director of Publications and Public Affairs.
- A strong commitment to the ideas animating the Independent Institute
- 2-5 years of experience in marketing and sales or related areas
- Experience in creating broad plans that also contain detailed implementation objectives and measurable outcomes, and carrying them out successfully
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively
- Digital and social media dexterity
- Flawless writing skills
- Familiarity with Salesforce and/or comparable CRM system is desirable
- Appropriate educational credentials are a plus (e.g., B.A. and/or M.A. in marketing or policy)
Please send a letter detailing your interest in and readiness for the position, and explaining your alignment with the mission of the Independent Institute. It should be accompanied by a resume and a short list of references. Send to:
Senior Director of Publications and Public Affairs